Machine v Champs

Post any match reports in here
shakencity2

Machine v Champs

Post by shakencity2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 am

Well, our 2nd home game of the season put us up against the Champs from last season - Hollinhurst. After a decent home outing last week, could we upset the odds and provide a shock?
**Please be aware this will not be an accurate account of how things went, just my made up version.

1st up was Tony Guite against the ever green Tommy Taylor. According to the "sideliners", this was a game in which Tony could and probably should have won. A pretty even game throughout, Tommy would then produce a decent break in the middle to command a lead he’d never go on to relinquish…winning to a pretty comfortable 15 (0-1.5)

Block 2 saw Jimmy Coleman take on the Blyster. Jimmy ended last season on a high, unfortunately the heavy greens at the beginning of the season don’t seem to suit him. This would turn out to be another struggle for Jim, as Chris went into the corners with his silly looking red woods. Another away win was registered to the away side, this time very easily to 4. (0-3)

Pete Lee was up next against the impressive Turrell Jnr. This was a game that Pete said he should have won…if he’d have played better. Unfortunately, when you play against this lot you have to play at your best from start to finish. A close game once again, but Nick produced the goods when it was needed - at the death, running out to 16. (0-4.5)

4th block saw Marathon man Colin Newey (bowling wise, not running) against Wrighty. Once again this went to script with Colin wanting his monies worth, as he stretched the game out virtually full distance. Neither one of these 2 wanted to come off, meaning someone later was gonna finish in complete darkness. Nothing would separate them at 19s (38 ends), but once again the homester crumbled to gift the away side another 1.5pts..this ain’t looking too good now. (0-6)

Last of the first half saw me up against Tottinghurst debutant (Weds nights anyway) Chis Harris. I’ve played Chris a few times now and we’ve always had good games and this would be no different. After a pretty even start, I found a mark to my liking and lead it well. This lead was one thankfully I’d never give up. Despite a late rally from Chris at 9-19, I would get the double i needed to quash the away sides hopes of a clean sweep…win to 14. (HT 1-6)

Skip took on Teapot in what turned out to be another titanic battle. Skip shot out of the blocks early on, as Terry struggled with his larger mirky yellow block looking bowls. Back came Terry though to even the scores up at around 14s, before Snowy fought back to lead 19-16. He then proceeded to lead out 4yrds short and then gift Terry a double by following it up with another even shorter. This seemed to deflate our Skip a little, as Terry ran out without trouble from there on in. (1-7.5)

Our World Champ, took on their Skip (PG). Not to be disrespectful, but this was a game I expected Mark to win and he didn’t disappoint. That said, it was only consistency that saw Mark home, as Paul really did produce some excellent stuff throughout. Mark though would play well from start to finish and run out a comfortable winner to 12 and in turn take the kitty…not a hard thing to do tonight though. (2-7.5)

Big Andy was out next, against Eggy. At the fear of repeating myself, this was another game that went the distance and ended in near darkness. They were even throughout this game with the lead changing hands several times. No one would give an inch and at 19 all, Steve then produced a couple of bowls to the crown within a foot that Andy couldn’t match or probably even see tbh. This would turn out to be our 3rd loss on the night to 19. (2-9)

Tucker took on John Pearson in block 9. I marked this card and in all honesty Tucker had enough chances to win this game, but inconsistency cost him once again. JP would always be infront in this, with our John never taking advantage of lapses to get back into it. Overall, this would end up being a comfortable win for JP to 13. (2-10.5)

Last on the green was our newcomer Rod Wynne against Tony Burns. Now this game seem to last forever, maybe due to Colin and Wrightys game lasting 6 and a half hours beforehand. From what I believe this game was close all the way through and ended in complete and utter darkness. With them bowling along the top edge, us at the clubhouse couldn’t see a right lot (I couldn’t see anything). One thing’s for sure though, Tony would come out victorious to 17 and therefore complete a quite remarkable victory for the away side. (2-12)

A resounding victory and scoreline here for the champs, but in all honesty a few of the games could and should really have been won by the home team…but they weren’t. We’ll lick our wounds and come back fighting against PBC A next week, so watch out Camo n Co we’re after ya!

Final score; 2-15 (agg; 164-194)

mikeh

Re: Machine v Champs

Post by mikeh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

Good report Denzil and a great win for yourself. Shame I missed this one but events at Boundary Park have to take priority for the next few weeks as my beloved Latics try to secure our league 1 status!! The Champs are up and running a lot earlier than last season thankfully, let's hope we can keep it going over the next few weeks as we have been handed a pretty tough start on paper.

shakencity2

Post by shakencity2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Hope that wasn't you running onto the pitch confronting the referee at Rochdale last night Mike. Funnily enough one ran onto the pitch at Gigg a few weeks back trying to entice the Shakers fan.
Alwsys been a set of scally fans.

mikeh

Post by mikeh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 am

Denzil, when you have as many travelling fans as we do every week it will also attract a small number of idiots, the guy at Rochdale was clearly off his head although it may have contributed to us getting a valuable point with the delay in taking the penalty! Funnily enough, I did almost end up on the pitch at Bury when we scored our 2nd goal but just managed to contain myself. If I remember rightly there was also a Bury fan on the pitch and he was the only one throwing a punch!